There’s just a few days until Christmas now and most of us have got our turkeys for the big day poised and ready to be cooked but have you got any plans for what to do with your leftovers?
Food waste is a huge problem here in the UK but there’s no need to throw away your leftover Christmas roast when there’s easy and delicious recipes out there to use up your spare turkey and we’re going to share our top 5 leftover turkey recipes with you today!
A quick and easy boxing day lunch, for your Christmas omelette you will need:
Dash of Milk
Any Leftover Pigs and Blankets
- Whisk your eggs and milk together and pour into pre-heated frying pan over a medium heat, greased with low calorie cooking spray
- Allow the bottom of the omelette to cook for a few minutes
- Once the bottom is cooked, add your chopped up turkey, pigs and blankets and a sprinkle of cheese on top before popping under a pre-heated medium grill
- Once the top cooked through, remove from the grill, plate up and drizzle with cranberry sauce before enjoying!
Roast Dinner Cakes
Loads of leftovers, use them all up with these bubble and squeak style ‘roast dinner cakes’:
Leftover Vegetables (sprouts, carrots, peas, broccoli)
- Create your cake mixture in a bowl by adding chopped up turkey, vegetables and stuffing to your mashed potato and stirring everything together so it is all combined
- Heat a frying pan to a medium-high heat with low calorie cooking spray
- Mould your mixture into patty shapes before carefully placing into your frying pan
- Leave to cook on one side for a few minutes before carefully flipping and cooking on the other side
- Continue to flip the cake from side to side until cooked through and nicely browned
- Enjoy with gravy or cranberry sauce
A warming and tasty way to use up your turkey and perfect for mixing up the flavours we enjoy throughout December, a turkey curry will add a kick to your Christmas!
Curry Paste or Powder
- Create the base of your curry by frying your onion and peppers for 3-4 minutes in some low calorie cooking spray before adding the garlic and chopped tomatoes, simmering for a few minutes before adding some water and bringing to the boil for 5 minutes
- Add pieces of leftover turkey, chopped up cooked potatoes and 2-3 tablespoons of mango chutney and simmer for 10 minutes or so to thicken up
- Serve with rice or naan bread and add some coriander if you’re a fan!
Sweet and Sour Turkey Stir Fry
Add an oriental flavour to your Christmas by making a quick and easy sweet and sour turkey stir fry on those down days before New Year!
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Heat up a wok to a medium heat with some low calorie cooking spray before adding in your chopped up broccoli, carrots and peppers
- Cook your veg until soft before adding your turkey and sweetcorn to the wok and stirring through
- Break your noodles into the wok and cook until softened
- Add your stir fry sauce and stir for a couple of minutes until all covered and heated through
- Serve and enjoy
Turkey Fried Rice
A quick and easy lunch or evening meal, using your leftover turkey to put your own spin on a classic fried rice is a delicious idea!
- Cover your frozen peas in boiling water around 10 minutes before you start cooking
- Heat a wok or frying pan with low calorie cooking spray to a medium – high heat
- Add your pancetta to the pan and cook through
- Add your pouch of microwavable rice, cook through and add salt, pepper and soy sauce
- Drain the water from your peas, add to the pan and cook through
- Add your leftover turkey and cook for 2-3 minutes or until all the other ingredients are perfectly cooked
- Serve with prawn crackers and enjoy!
So, there are no excuses for throwing away turkey this Christmas! Use these recipes to get the best value for money from your roast and also create some new and healthy recipes you can use throughout the year!